Side Effects of Coffee on Women
Coffee is a drink made from the ground beans of the coffee plant. It’s a very popular beverage. However, coffee contains the natural stimulant caffeine, as well as other substances that come with certain risks and side effects. Studies have shown that these risks and side effects are of particular concern to women although I must re-iterate that having a cup of Coffee occasionally is not a bad thing either! The following are the effects of excessive Coffee on women:
1. ADDICTION: There is nothing like the smell of fresh coffee in the morning. It is the smell and the taste that gets most of us through the day. Whether you want to believe it or not, coffee does cause addiction. You don’tneed to drink 20 cups of coffee a day to be addicted . The moment you feel you can’t get through a single day without coffee, you’ve developed a minor addiction.
Caffeine blocks adenosine, a chemical that makes you naturally drowsy, decrese concentration and reaction speed. But once the temporary stimulation stops, the brain cells start needing for more caffeine for stimulation and a gradual neural sluggishness starts developing. Only people who do not regularly drink coffee will get a ‘push-up’ from caffeine.
Coffee has a stimulating effect on the central nervous system. It increases the mental alertness and can meddle with your sleep especially if your drinking coffee in the evening. Too much of caffeine can cause insomnia, restlessness and overall bad sleep.
3. BLOOD PRESSURE AND CHOLESTEROL: Caffeine blocking adenosine constricts the blood vessels and as a result the heart beats rate increases, muscles tighten, the blood pressure booms. The effect is temporary, but if you drink a lot of coffee, it can cause permanent high blood pressure. Drinking unfiltered coffee can increase the levels of total cholesterol (both HDL and LDL) and triglycerides. Over years, this may increase the risk of having a heart attack.
4. STOMACH PROBLEMS: Excessive consumption of coffee over a period of time can cause. stomach problems. The chemicals present in the coffee can erode the lining of the stomach leading to increased acid production affecting absorption and digestion. It can cause anxiety, vomiting and nausea..
5. DEHYDRATION: It is a common fact that for every cup of coffee you drink, you need two cups of water just to compensate for the fluids you’ve lost. Coffee causes dehydration and if not compensated it can lead to headaches and nausea, irritability and excessive weakness.
Caffeine can affect both the mother and the fetus. The chances of a miscarriage due to increased coffee consumption have been found to be higher than those from alcohol or nicotine
7. FERTILITY: In a recent study it was found that women who consumed just one cup of coffee per day were half as likely to conceive. Hence the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development has advised women who are trying to become pregnant to reduce their caffeine consumption.
8.PMS: Most women undergo the pre menstrual syndrome of excessive irritability, anxiety, bouts of emotions. It is proven that women who are generally prone to having strong PMS can experience it even stronger due to drinking coffee.
9. PANIC ATTACKS: Caffeine actually induces the so called “fight or flight” mechanism in our bodies, a defensive mechanism that our body uses during stress, emotional outbursts. However high consumption reduces this mechanism to panic attacks and you start to sweat, your hands start to shake and you expect bad things to happen to you
10. OSTEOPOROSIS: Osteoporosis means a decrease in the bone mineral density making the bones more prone to fractures. Drinking more than three cups of coffee a day for years can lead to decreased bone density.
In recent study it was found out that women who take oral contraceptives eliminate caffeine less effectively than those who don’t. Hence the side effects associated with this stimulant can be much greater for those women who are on the pill.
12.CANCER: It is a proven fact that women on excessive coffee have increased risk of having breast and liver cancer.
The below digrame gives a fair representation of the main symptoms of Caffeine overdose on your body. So if you are having a lot of coffee and your body is showing any of these signs of late, it’s time to take action and cut down on your Coffee drinking habits.